Saturday, May 2, 2009

Looking Forward to May

April may only have 30 days, but they were a long 30 days. I see that I never even got my April calendar posted so guess I'll do it here, along with May.

March ended with Sue's hip replacement surgery postponed until Friday, April 17. She's been having trouble maintaining a high enough red blood cell count and her surgeon decided she needed to see a hematologist. After several blood transfusions, she got the okay for her surgery. We had to be at Spectrum at 7:30 a.m. on 4/17, with surgery scheduled for 9:30 a.m. They didn't take her in until almost 10:00 and a procedure that was supposed to take a hour, took over two. When the surgeon came out to talk to me, he indicated that her hip was in much worse shape than he thought so the surgery took much longer. But everything went well and she was in her room about 2 hours later. I stayed with her until 7:00 p.m. It was a very long day.

On Saturday, she had several sessions of physical and occupational therapy and was out of bed to sit in a chair. I spent most of the afternoon and early evening with her. I brought Mom up to see her on Sunday for a couple of hours. Sue still had several therapy sessions and was walking a bit further. We thought she would come home on Monday, but she ended up needing another blood transfusion before they would let her leave.

I finally got her home on Tuesday. Sue's bedroom is in the lower level of our condo but stairs were not an option. So, we moved her into my bedroom where she could easily get to a bathroom and more easily maneuver with her walker. I moved into the spare bedroom so I would be close if she needed any help.

So that's how we spent the last two weeks. We finally moved her to the lower level this morning. I must admit I'm looking forward to sleeping in my own bed again.

While we were getting through all of this, I found out that my hours were being cut at the office from 40 to 32 per week. Instead of laying off one administrative assistant, five of us had our hours reduced. I am now supposed to have Monday's off but, because of everything going on with Sue, I've had to do some trading. I think after next week I should be able to get into a regular routine.

It really is beginning to look like spring. After having 70 degree weather at the beginning of the month, we had 3-4 straight days of rain and then temperatures in the 50's and 60's. The flowering trees have really popped, daffodils, tulips and hyacinths are in full bloom, and the summer birds are returning. In the last three days, both the Orioles and the Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks have been at our feeders. Still waiting for the Hummingbirds. This is absolutely my favorite season. I'm beginning to get that itch to plant some annuals.

Marla and I headed to Arnie's in Greenville last Saturday. They were having a 30% off the entire store sale which you know I can't miss. They have such a great selection of stamping, scrapbooking and papercrafting supplies. I haven't even taken the time to unpack my purchases. Looking forward to the creative juices flowing again.

And speaking of creative juices, Barb and I leave Wednesday night for the Great Lakes Mega Meet in Novi. I've signed up for 7 classes over the three days. I can hardly wait. We always stay at the Baymont Inn and Suites; nice but nothing fancy. And it seems we usually end up eating at Applebees. I'm a little leery of leaving Sue alone for three nights but she assures me she will be fine.

I think this has caught me up. I hope so anyway. I need to start packing my supplies for my classes; I've already made a list of everything I need to take. I don't know if I'll get any challenges done this week but I am looking forward to starting again next week. I can't tell you how much I've missed checking out everyone's blogs and the world of challenges.

Cheers, Judi

No comments: